This week is Cybersafety Awareness Week. It is an ‘Australian Government initiative, held annually in partnership with industry, community and consumer groups and state and territory governments.’
Whether or not you’re able to get involved in National Cyber Security Awareness Week, remember these ten simple tips for better online security:
- Install and update your security software; set it to scan regularly.
- Turn on automatic updates on all your software, particularly your operating system and applications.
- Use strong passwords and different passwords for different uses.
- Stop and think before you click on links and attachments.
- Take care when transacting online – research the supplier and use a safe payment method.
- Only download “apps” from reputable publishers and read all permission requests.
- Regularly check your privacy settings on social networking sites.
- Stop and think before you post any photos or financial information online.
- Talk with your child about staying safe online, including on their smartphone or mobile device.
- Report or talk to someone if you feel uncomfortable or threatened online – download the Government’s Cybersafety Help Button.