- 86% of internet users have taken steps online to remove or mask their digital footprints—ranging from clearing cookies to encrypting their email.
- 55% of internet users have taken steps to avoid observation by specific people, organizations, or the government.
- 21% of internet users have had an email or social networking account compromised or taken over by someone else without permission.
- 12% have been stalked or harassed online.
- 11% have had important personal information stolen such as their Social Security Number, credit card, or bank account information.
- 6% have been the victim of an online scam and lost money.
- 6% have had their reputation damaged because of something that happened online.
- 4% have been led into physical danger because of something that happened online.
Although the survey was completed in the United States, there’s certainly transfer of thoughts and anxieties that affect Australians as well. Read the whole report here.